Pea Shoots - SUBSCRIPTION
Pea Shoots - SUBSCRIPTION
Want to garnish your food at home just like the restaurants do with delicious fresh and crunchy pea shoots that stay crisp and yummy to eat for up to a week!?!
Our Pea Shoot Subscription is a delicious addition to your weekly meals and salads giving you that tasty pea shoot flavour wherever you want it.
You'll LOVE our pea shoots because...
- These delicious shoots are so versatile and perfect to use as a garnish, side salad or make up the bulk of a full salad in their own right!
- You can have piece of mind that you're purchasing from a local and sustainable small farming business in the UK, so no need to worry that your salad has travelled further than you to reach your plate, that unfair labour practices have been involved in production or that our planet was harmed in the making of your salad.
- Studies show that microgreens contain higher levels of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants compared with mature leaves (source one and two) which means your health will love them too!
What every Pea Shoot punnet contains:
70 grams of crunchy pea shoots!
Pea shoots have a mild pea flavour and easily stay fresh for up to a week in your fridge in an air tight container.
Wonderful as a little hint of greens with any meal, or let them make up the bulk of your salad. Pea shoots are just so versatile!
Things to know:
- This purchase is for the SUBSCRIPTION option. You can purchase the microgreens as a one-off purchase however the subscription option cost slightly less and saves you having to reorder each week (more information below on how the subscription works.)
- The microgreens are harvested Thursday morning and delivered/collected Thursday afternoon - super fresh! (If you order before Thursday you should receive your order that week depending on stock, and if you order on Thursday or after you will receive your order the following week.)
- There are frequently asked questions also further on down the page!
How does the subscription work?
We understand that remembering to order just your salad needs from a seperate store every week is a lot of faff, therefore we offer our subscription option!
All you need to do is sign up one time and each week your payment will automatically go out and your microgreens will be harvested and prepared for you.
There is no contract and you can cancel at any time!
You can choose between ordering single punnets of your choosen microgreens, or if you can sign up for our multi-punnet special deal and save yourself over 15%!
At checkout you can select if you want to collect your microgreens from the farm free of charge or have them delivered for £1.80 delivery fee.
The microgreens are harvested every Thursday morning. They are avaliable for collection 2pm to 9pm on Thursday (full collection details are given once ordered) or delivered Thursday afternoons.
There is also a subscription portal where you can manage your subscription such as skipping weeks you're on holiday or swapping out for a different product if you want to try something new!
Frequently Asked Questions
Are microgreens healthier than normal lettuce or salad?
While there isn’t a huge amount of research on this yet, the research so far seems to suggest yes!
Which is good news for us microgreen lovers, or those looking to make their salads even healthier!
How do I use microgreens?
In any place you would normally use lettuce or other green salad!
They work great as a salad base all on their own, no need to add lettuce if you don't want to.
They can be combined with lettuce and other salad items to make a varied salad mix.
Or they can be used as a garnish anywhere you like.
Add them to your sandwiches, sprinkle on pasta and mix them into buddha bowls!
Or eat them all on their own like a wee rabbit!
What do microgreens taste like and will I like them?
I'm pretty biased but I think microgreens are super tasty.
They're like a cross between your favourite salad leaf and the plant they come from.
So pea shoots, for example, are like a mild leaf version of a pea.
While sunflower microgreens have a more nutty flavour!
Generally I find that people who like a salad LOVE microgreens!
Is growing microgreens good for the environment?
Don't hate me but...it really depends.
Just like with any food production there are both enviromentally friendly and non-enviromentally friendly ways of growing.
Here at Coad Micro Farm we use the most enviormentally friendly options avaliable to us right now and are working to make them even better for our planet.
That looks like:
- Using peat-free, organic compost and working towards making all our own compost so we don't have to buy this input in.
- Using LED grow lights to minimise energy usage and one day installing solar panels so we can produce clean energy ourselves.
- Only supplying the local area within a few miles of our farm (SN6 6RD) which massively cuts down on food miles and ensures there is a local supply of fresh greens all year round for those people (no need to fly in lettuce from some far flung country to get that nutrient goodness in the less sunny months!)
So if we changed the question to "Is the way the microgreen grown at Coad Micro Farm good for the environment?" I would feel more than happy saying YES! :)
What packaging do you use for the microgreens?
We currently use a plastic punnet as microgreens need to be refrigerated in an air-tight container in order to stay fresh.
Obviously being an environmentally conscious business we do not love these single use plastics, but right now they are the best option available to keep the microgreens fresh.
The punnets we use are both made from recycled plastic AND are recyclable!
People do ask why we don't use compostable plastic punnets however, these need to be sent to special composting facilities (they won't just break down on your standard garden compost heap.) Plus, this special compostable plastic is not recyclable.
Therefore these types of containers often end up in landfill because most local authorities do not collect for that special type of composting...So that's why we went with our current packaging.
We hope that better options will become available and we also plan to offer longer-term subscription customers the option of refillable containers for their weekly order, so do send us an email if this is something you're interested in!
Can I have some more details on delivery versus collection?
You can choose to collect your microgreens directly from the farm (self-service style) free of charge, or have them delivered for a £2.80 delivery fee.
The microgreens are harvested every Thursday morning.
They are then avaliable for self-service collection between 2pm to 9pm on Thursday on the farm. Full collection details are given once you have ordered.
Or, if you have choosen delivery, they are delivered on Thursday afternoons.
We only sell our microgreens within a certain milage of the farm to ensure we are offering a local product. You can check if your postcode is in our service area by using any of the postcode checkers on product pages or the homepage.
If neither collection or delivery options work for you (for example, maybe Thursday is just a no in your life) please send us an email to email@example.com and we can try and work an alternative arrangement!
Are the microgreens grown organically?
We are not organically certified (not yet anyway, this is something we plan to work towards) however the microgreens are grown without the use of pesticides, or herbicides or any chemicals like that.
We also use peat-free organic compost to grow the microgreens and use organic seed.
So while we're not organically certified and therefore cannot call ourselves organic, we do grow using organic principles.